44 Princess Street (North)
Shoemaker Thomas Ryan moved to Winnipeg in 1874 and made a name for himself importing boots, shoes and rubber goods from England and the United States. His original location was 492 Main street, but in 1906, he built a larger location at 44 Princess Street. The business quickly expanded with branches in Edmonton and Calgary and Thomas was dubbed the Shoe King by contemporaries. Operations ceased in 1928, upon Thomas’ retirement.