52 Albert Street (North)
In 1897, George Gregg founded George R. Gregg and Company as a silk and curio importer. Gregg was a Winnipeg-based salesman and manufacturer’s agent who saw the market potential for luxurious Japanese silks. As product demand grew, so did the company’s offering. The company quickly expanded its offering to include textiles, chinaware, novelties and toys. By tapping into the Oriental trade early and offering a diverse product line, the company was able to carve a profitable market in the luxury trade. In 1902, the company erected the Gregg Building at 52 Albert Street as a product warehouse. Two years later, the company moved its head office to Toronto and opened a branch office in Vancouver, with the Winnipeg building served as a branch office and storage warehouse. By 1912, the company had four, full-time sales representatives serving Ontario and Western Canada. Unfortunately, a few decades later, the company was a shadow of its former self, selling scarves and handkerchiefs through a lone agent before closing down in the mid 1950’s.
Fred Rumble Agencies opened its offices in the Gregg Building in the 1920s, representing the MacGregor lines.
Leaper Agencies opened its offices in the Gregg Building in the 1920s, representing the Galt Knitting Mill of Ontario.