165 McDermot Avenue (West)
James Porter and Company was a wholesale importer that sold crockery and china to retailers across western Canada. They built 165 McDermot as a storage warehouse in 1906 and remained in the space until the business ceased operations in 1943.
The L. Galpern Candy Company was founded in the 1920s Louis Galpern and is best known for their Fine Candy brand and as a manufacturers’ agent for Milady Chocolates. Their confectionary caught on and the family company grew into a large operation, moving from their Jarvis Street operation to 165 McDermot in 1943. The business ceased operations in 1973.